Most hosting companies provide some way to quickly install WordPress and other popular web software. Softaculous, Fantastico and Installatron come to mind. But these aren’t always available and you’re left with having to install manually. This involves:
- creating your database with a user and password
- downloading the latest WordPress from the wordpress.org website
- expanding (or uncompressing) the WordPress Zip archive on your local machine
- uploading the WordPress folders and files to your server using an FTP client like FileZilla
- running the WordPress install script
In other words, the WordPress Famous 5-Minute Installation.
Steps 2, 3 and 4 are time consuming, making it therefore better (easier, cheaper, faster) if you could instruct your web server to fetch the WordPress source and uncompress it in one step. Enter Alister Cameron’s Faster Easier WordPress Loader. Download Alister Cameron’s Faster Easier WordPress Loader (wordpress_loader.php.zip – 11kb ZIP file), uncompress it and keep it handy.
Now the procedure is:
- create the database with a user and password
- upload wordpress_loader.php to your WordPress document root
- run the WordPress loader – http://[your server address]/[WordPress Doc Root]/wordpress_loader.php
- run the WordPress install script – http://[your server address]/[WordPress Doc Root]/wp-admin/install.php